Class without conviction: update

---------

From: Stephen Wood (steve_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 15:47:24 PST

Hi All

Thanks to those of you who gave me some sujeestions last week. It made me
think about where a was going with this group of children

just to update you, I have had another week with my souless class. This week
I moved away from technique and concentrated on trying to get them to paint
some emotion. It was O.K. But it dawned on me that the school is in a
wealthy village and the kids are quite privillaged. I don't know how this
will help, but I read something in Viktor Lowenfelds book "Creative and
Mental Growth" that Parents obsessed with social status often have children
that are lacking in certain develomental areas.

They really do need knocking down a peg or two, but I feel so bad even
saying this to myself, they're just kids (9-11yrs). I brought out 2 pictures
of Van Goghs Sunflowers. The been there, seen it, attitude came as know
suprise. I tried to touch them with the story of how he was going to
decorate a house with the pictures and planned to do 12 and how he fell out
with his friend thus the happy first picture and the latter sad one etc etc.
I think a couple of them got it. They were all too busy showing off thier
messed up knowlege of him cutting his ear off blah blah.

Anyway, that's the update.

Steve
U.K.

---