ArtsEdNet Listserv Unofficial FAQ

---------

From: kimberly herbert (kherbert_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 15:18:25 PST

Some of these issues have been coming up again, so I updated the
Unofficial FAQ with correct web sites for archives etc.. Here it is.
ArtsEdNet Listserv Unofficial FAQ

This FAQ has been put together to answer those housekeeping questions
that come up so frequently. This is not an attempt to monitor the list,
but to make communication easier.

1. What is the digest? The list comes in 3 forms Individual
messages sent as they are received, Digest messages from a 24 hour
period compiled and sent out once a day, Index the subject lines of
messages from a 24 hour period compiled and sent out once a day.

2. Why can't we post pictures to an art teachers' list? The digest
form of the list cannot process attachments. They can also cause
problems for people in rural areas with slow connections. Deb Sterner
solved this problem by establishing a photo page for us at
http://members2.clubphoto.com/art216973/. The login is
artednetter@hotmail.com and the password is gettylist

3. How do I unsubscribe, change to no-mail, switch to digest,
switch to individual messages? Go to
http://lists.getty.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=artsednet&text_mode=0
login with your e-mail and click on settings. You can change your
subscription here.

4. Why aren't my messages going through? Go to
http://lists.getty.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=artsednet&text_mode=0
login and click settings. See your messages must be set to yes, or you
will not receive a copy.

5. Where are the archives? Good question January 1998 - July 2001
are at http://www.artsednet.getty.edu/ArtsEdNet/hm/index.html For
September 2001 - Today got to
http://lists.getty.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=artsednet&text_mode=0&lang
=english login with your e-mail and click on read messages. (This
information is correct as of November 22, 2001)

6. What is the art educators alternative or back up list? In the
event that the ArtsEdNet from the Getty goes down for some reason,
several members established a back up list at
http://www.egroups.com/group/ArtsEducators .

7. Can we post lesson plans? To the list sure, but not as
attachments please. The digest version of the list cannot process them
(see #2). Just cut and paste them into the main body of your e-mail.
area where members can upload files including lesson plans.

8. Can I use HTML e-mail? Text formatting works best. HTML
formatting can cause problems on the digest and funky colors and
backgrounds can make it difficult to read your message. Because every
computer can interpret HTML differently (especially when in comes to
colors) your e-mail might be completely unreadable on another system.
Please use plain text formatting.

9. Please do not send attachments of any type to the list, it
scrambles the digest version. Also it is better to send the info in text
format in the body of the e-mail because not everyone can open all
documents.

---