Bronze patina - clay relief sculptures

---------

From: Judy Decker (Jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 07:19:17 PST

Mark Alexander inquired what patina Nate used....since patina has been a
popular topic -- I thought I would tell all (there just wasn't room on the
site).
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/images/8rel-006s.jpg

Nate is an exceptional student (artistically) -- but is LD academically. I
would love to have a whole room full of "Nates"....

Nate's patina:
1. spray paint with brown - let dry
2. finger rub with copper acrylic (safe for hands)
3. highlight with gold acrylic (safe for hands)
4. add shadows back in if necessary with brown acrylic - rub with cloth
5. accent with gold Rub 'n Buff -- polish (use one finger -- hasn't hurt me
yet -- so must be safe for kiddies if they use just one finger---smile ---
Rub 'n Buff does come off easily with hand soap).

Clean up for Nate was very easy -- his patina took him two entire class
periods -- it does take careful application to get just the right look (I
sprayed the initial brown when kiddies were not around). The difference
is --- I got all of the rest of the kids done in one period who did the
spray patina gold or silver. One at a time they put them under the spray
hood and gave a light dusting of gold or silver (we did about 7 to 10 each
class period). I also opened the kiln room door and had the overhead vents
on --- Just a bit too noisy for me to do too often. I had a sample relief
with bronze patina -- much richer -- more bronze like -- but I had more
time involved in layering --Nate didn't have that kind of time. He was
happy with the results.

While small for his age -- Nate is one of the most "mature" students I have
ever had (even when he was a sixth grader)....He is the kind you hope come
back and visit you to tell you what they decided to do with their life
..you know the kind.

On this day-before -Thanksgiving, I am thankful for all of my students like
Nate.

Thanks Mark for asking..... Remember Mark, I did this with 8th graders.....
you did it with 7th graders..... There is a difference. We had this as a
follow-up to our painting project - so they were already familiar with the
features of the face.

Enjoying a quiet day at home..ah ...vacation!

Judy Decker

---