District Web woes? Here is an idea

---------

From: Judy Decker (Jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 05:35:37 PST

Thanks to all who replied to my request on how to get around the Windows NT
problem (I saved all of your suggestions)..... Others on the list have had
problems with school tech people --- so I thought I would share Sarah's
suggestion (do check Sarah's site http://www.esu9.k12.ne.us/~swegenas/ ):

>>I do not have my art website on our school
>>server. I contacted our regional Education Service Unit. and they are
>>letting me ftp to their server. I like not having to check in or give
>>someone my stuff to update. As a matter of fact I just added a couple
>>graphic sites you posted to my art and technology page tonight.

I just sent email to the director of our A site.... I hope I hear back from
him one way or other (before summer anyway -- which is when I will move my
site). I will definitely let our district tech people know I sent the
email.

And here are answers to some of the questions/suggestions:

1. My site was password protected already -- always was. To let me back in
they would have to create a "hole in the Firewall" -- is what I was told. I
do know how important Firewalls are (I better update mine).

2. I already DO have a site on another server -- just don't want to pay
more (and I do not "Yahoo"..... I never have used Yahoo search engine
either). I want to keep an add-free site.

3. I don't want to switch software (My son taught me how to use
FrontPage -- I am sentimental)--- I already have purchase two Front Page
2000 (the second one because FrontPage wouldn't work on my machine at
school last year -- so I bought a replacement (and again -- it doesn't
work).....BUT now I certainly understand all of the complaints you folks
had when you tried to transport web page via floppy -- it just doesn't work
with FrontPage very well --- and isn't worth the hassle when there IS a
better way.

Happy day before Thanksgiving!

Judy Decker

P.S. For those who have not purchased Web software -- Sarah uses
Dreamweaver --and really likes it.

---