Re: Underperforming schools

---------

From: griswold (griswald_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 18:25:38 PST

Jan, believe me, I believe your story...it is like that in CA...we are
targeting the kids who can move into the next quartile since that will
improve our score on the API rating system that is based on SAT 9 scores, as
well as our socioeconomic base, and some other arcane formulae...we have
science teachers teaching reading, and not having a prep (they could
refuse), we have arts people doing the intensive reading/spelling
programs...it is really awful, and we earned a negative 2% last year instead
of increasing the required 5%. The year we did great and got paid for, we
had an 8th grade class of high high students...they are now 10th graders so
the local high school should reap the benefit.
It is just crazy.
They still let us do field trips, but we pay for it with fundraisers.
Venting right along with you,
Charlotte in N. California where the sun is still not shining and my solar
system is starting to feel shaky.
griswald@telis.org
rexfree_99@yahoo.com

---