Re: class without conviction/idea

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 19:08:25 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
 Danville, CA 94526
From: ARTNSOUL12@aol.com

9-10 year olds LOVE using clay and also papier mache. If you have a kiln, I
suggest a sculpture project. Perhaps begin with a slab method. Papier
mache is certainly sticky enough! How about encouraging them to read
"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" at home. Ask them to develop their own
kind of candy out of papier mache. Make 'em BIG. Then, they can design a
label by drawing it (so you've covered the drawing end of it) and name their
special candy with their name in the title, ie, "Susie's Sours". Oh, and
you can even throw in a little art history (my favorite thing to do) with
examples of Claus Oldenburg's food sculptures.
Susan on Long Island ---
Good ideas all. And how about doing finger-painting by making several diff.
colored finger-paintings, cut them in collaged pieces of animals like Eric
Carle illustrations. Sounds like they just need to get their fingers in goo,
slime, paste, and finger-paint. I bet you'll have happy campers the messier
it is and the more tactile the lessons. Pencil and paper doesn't sound like
much fun to me either after school. Toodles.....Bunki

---