Re: painted ceiling tiles

---------

From: Ann Wilschke (awilschk_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 05:39:19 PST

My advanced 8th grade class has painted ceiling tiles for 10 or 12
years. I first saw seomthing like this in a middle school in Ann Arbor.
When I started here I did not want to ask permission, so I had the kids
paint on white kraft paper and then we remove the tile and wrap the
painting around it. I have always used tampera paint, but last year I
started to have them mix in acrylic medium. that was a list
suggestion. I do find though, whenever I use acrylics, that I loose paint
brushes, because they don't clean them adequately and then they are hard
and I can't reclaim them.
Anyway the paintings are the end project of the color unit. I let them
choose their subject, but suggest things timely of the year, or things
that are up in the air. I require them to do a specific color scheme.
These are wildly successful.......and something everyone looks forward to
doing. There are a few in the hall too, but my principal won't let many
go out>>>>>>>>
When need arrises we will take some down.....I return some to the students
if they are still around (high school) or I auction them off. That is
also fun and a popular event.
Ann Wilschke
Upton Middle School
St. Joseph, Mi.