Re: Underperforming schools

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 13:54:43 PST

Texas has been suffering under this for years... the dreaded TAAS test. Now
they've changed it to TEKS-still the same test. Schools are rated on this
test. Exemplerary and Acceptable are the only two ratings I remember, I'm
sure other Texas teachers on here can fill in the rest.

Teachers teach ONLY to the test. All that gets taught in an elementary
classroom is Reading, Writing and Math. You can forget about Science or
Social Studies. Nobody bothers. They'll have to soon though as they are
adding both of these to the elementary test.

ALso, I believe it's next year, any student who does not pass the third
grade test does not go on to the fourth grade. I'm picturing some 18 year
old third graders a few years down the road....

Donald Peters
Lubbock, Texas