RE: TALKING VS NOT TALKING

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 05:54:43 PST

Talking or not talking depends on the lesson we are working on - last year
my 4th grades embellished felt fish (not to be confused with gefilte fish)
with beads and sequins... their hands were very busy and they were allowed
to talk. I compared it to a quilting bee which was as much a social
situation as a time for productive hands .

But if they are doing observational or figure drawing - talking isn't
appropriate.

I like to hear what the K's share about their work, their excitement when
painting - I don't like to hear about the movies/sitcoms/vacation plans all
the time (okay - some of it is interesting - but not necessarily
constructive).

I had one class last year that wouldn't stop - it didn't matter who was
where, with whom, by whom, praised, stickered, flipped, charted, threatened,
bribed, entertained, lulled and so on. Grrrrrr. Have them this year as 5th
graders - but they are diluted into three classes. Now I give them the
little 'I'm watching you' hand signal (as illustrated by Robert Deniro (sp)
to Ben Stiller in 'Meet the Parents".) Just kidding.

I agree with the person that said circulate a lot -
Ellen

---