RE: American Artists of Interest - Roy Lichtenstein

---------

From: Josh A. Heier (jheier_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 07:44:55 PST

Hi Gabrielle.

I also do a lesson with Freshman Art that utilizes Roy Lichtenstein. The
students look for a cell from their favorite comic from the Sunday funnies
and enlarge it to fit on a 18" x 24" sheet. This project is at the end of a
color unit so they have to choose a color scheme in which to paint(temepera)
the enlarged image such as triadic, analogous, complementary,
slit-complementary, etc. They then use the tints and shades of this color
scheme to paint their image. I request that they use different colors than
those on the original. I have them remove any text bubbles and this seems
to help with the humor of the image, depending on the comic. This has
caught on with my classes and it also contains math components with the
proportional enlargement of the comic.

I also think Dennis's idea of cropping the image would be wonderful.

Josh