Re: TALKING VS NOT TALKING

---------

From: Linda Watson (lsw_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 14:44:33 PST

11/15/01 9:06:08 AM, "Aust ArtClasses" <austart@bryanisd.org> wrote:

>I do take off for what I call excessive and loud talking . The students
>know this and I tell them that it is based on how I feel they are talking.
> If I call their names down, it is 10pts each time. The is deducted from
>what I use as a particaption grade. If they are working on a simple
>technique lesson to learn it, I do not take it off that grade, we can not
>do that. I take it off the participation grade. I have discussed with
>my students what a 100 grade is. When asked what a 100 grade meant, most
>said a perfect grade. I told them that would mean being perfect in the
>class. Talking loud or excessive is not perfect so it does not warrant a
>100.

Jackie,
I do the same thing. They know they have an opportunity to earn a 100 major grade just by controlling
their talking. For most students, all I have to do is remind them. For those who act as if they don't
care, I call parents and inform them about my "100" participation policy. This really helps with
discipline. I also have part of the period with no talking at all. I play music (Enya, David Arkenstone,
etc.) during this time, which really seems to help. I also allow students to listen to their own music with
headphones.

Linda Watson>

---