Demonstrating and Directions

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 19:51:12 PST

In a message dated 11/16/2001 8:19:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jeanalice2@wyan.org writes:

> HOW do you give directions and demonstrate?
> Presently, I have the students gather around a table while I demonstrate,
> but
> the table isn't large enough for 30+ students to stand and not bump,
> giggle,
> talk etc. If I stand in front of the class not everyone can see. Today
> some of
> the boys were especially bouncy and we lost too much time. Any great ideas
> appreciated.

Keep in mind that I teach k-5 so this "schtick" works for me: I gather my
kids around a rectangular table. After everyone is gathered 'round, all
squished, we all say together (chant-like-LOL) and everybody does this:
"Hands by my side, and one step back. Then, after they have taken a step
back so everyone can see, in a little high voice and waving hand motion I
add, "Freeze, please". Every kid in the school can hardly wait for the
"Freeze-please" part and all, with their high pitched voices and hands waving
in the air, are eager to say this along with me. Sometimes if they get to the
table before I do, they chant this without me and are ready for the demo even
before I reach the table! It's become a ritual before every demo.

Susan on Long Island

---