Demonstrating and directions

---------

From: Judy Decker (Jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 09:04:30 PST

I teach middle school -- this works:

I gather the students up in two rows -- first row of students (who are
close) bring their chairs. The second row stand behind. Most listen -- but
I still get some who say "Now what do I do?" when they get back to their
tables. I don't ignore their pleas for help -- I go to those who were
listening first.

A co-worker has solved some of her problems by having removal slips filled
out and ready to go. She prepares four ahead of time and lays them on the
table. We have an in-school- suspension room (called 95/45 room --- even
though no one has a 45 minute class anymore. Core are 50 and Exploratory
are 41 minutes).

I will try Susan's "Freeze Please" My middle schoolers still like the
cutsie stuff.. Some sing the "Barney Clean-up" song -- I tell them I didn't
know they still watched Barney and they stop.

Hope this helps,

Judy

P.S. I let the 6th grade students grade me yesterday --it was fun. Many
gave me a C because I would walk by their table as I went around the room.
I asked them what their table was doing as I walked by. They said
"Talking".... So I replied -- "Oh so you gave me a C for my classroom
management skills. I wasn't very good at keeping you from talking". It was
interesting.The students who received A-B's from me -- also gave me A-B's.
I am saving their grades for when I get evaluated. I feel their grades are
a fair assessment since they were in my room every day. A couple gave me an
F -- but I will throw those out. They were not allowed to give me an F
since I was there every day and was on task the whole period. They also did
not tell me why they gave me an F -- part of the "assignment".

---