Demos and remembering stuff

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 09:43:23 PST

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526
From: ARTNSOUL12@aol.com
Then, after they have taken a step back so everyone can see, in a little
high voice and waving hand motion I add, "Freeze, please". Every kid in the
school can hardly wait for the "Freeze-please" part......
Susan on Long Island
That's cute and I can just picture you doing that. It helps for us too that
when we are gathered around a demo table in mid. school with many MANY
students, they also take one step back. This keeps the front-line students
from leaning over the table to hide the demo from the back-row students. So
simple and so effective.

I try consistently to use diff. tables to demo and it's such fun to watch
the students' eyes and see their excitement when I select their particular
table after walking around the room to make the choice...(and we're talking
8th graders too). It's like a big "honor" or something. Strange what turns
them on.

Another thing that seems to engross them is when introducing new vocabulary
at these demos, I have them repeat the word...but in fun ways. Like I will
say "weft" and then say with enthusiasm (and a tad of over-dramatics and a
lot of body language)....
    shout "weft" loud
    cry "weft" sad
    smile "weft" happy
    whisper "weft" softly
    sing "weft" like an opera star
    say "weft" five times fast

Often the students will roll their eyes but they jump into the participation
of the word/s and...lordy...they REMEMBER that word forever. Do you think
it might have something to do with having just said that word 10 times?!

Toodles.....Bunki

---