Grading woes? Students can help

---------

From: Judy Decker (Jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 09:42:20 PST

My kiddies all knew I got way behind in grading their paper work (I blamed
in on 9/11 Syndrome) -- no one complained. They would rather do the
Internet lessons, see my PowerPoint presentations, be able to work in my
room during Academic Assist - which is my plan time, have challenging
lessons, have kilns loaded and unloaded, have work displayed, have work
online, have demonstrations of what to do, have materials ready etc......
SO I had all of my kiddies help me out.

Thursday, all students graded themselves
(http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/finalgrade.htm ) -- then on Friday they got
my grade sheet stapled on top of their own grades. What ever grade the
students circled for written assignments, I circled. If they didn't have
all homework assignments turned in, I circled a lower grade and added that
to the comments (we are only permitted to count homework a maximum of 15%
of the grade anyway).

I had fun with them.... I told them if they didn't like my grade, to tear
it off and then we came up with a list of excuses (here are the most
frequent ones):

1. The art teacher doesn't like me.
2. I turned in all of my work but the teacher never graded it.
3. The art teacher only likes the girls - only the girls get A's (girls
substitute boys).
4. The art teacher is a racist (only likes black students if white -- only
likes white students if black).
5. The teacher just didn't like anything I made.
6. The art teacher "crazy".

I also said, if those excuses don't work....have them call me (or
e-mail) --- or better yet, call my principal and I will explain to him all
of the objectives and goals of my lessons. I am sure he would like to spend
some time with me (smile).

I only had one student NOT take the self assessment seriously - he gave
himself all perfect 10's..... Long story, but I talked to him Friday
morning and explained to him why he would be in our 95/45 room for art on
Friday (the rest of my students all agreed it was a fair "punishment". They
felt insulted --they all worked hard to earn their grade).

I put the "Final Grade" online.....Since I didn't have my part ready for
Thursday, I printed theirs off on half sheets -- then printed mine off
after school. When I do this again, I will revise and have it on one whole
sheet:
http://www2.wcoil.com/~mdecker/finalgrade.htm

A couple seventh graders caught on I didn't have time to grade every
paper -- but they didn't say a word (they had them all completed and had
given themselves a 10 -- and so did I).

Middle School teachers, don't let grading stress you out....

Judy Decker

---