Re: American Artists of Interest - Roy Lichtenstein

---------

Daceballos_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 20:19:07 PST

In a message dated 11/17/2001 6:30:20 PM, suwanneecrew@yahoo.com writes:

<< Dennis, me too, except mine is a 5th block class.
Thanks, Cindi
--- Iteachart7@aol.com wrote:
> Hi Dennis;
> would you mind sharing your cartoon lesson plan?
> I have one class of all 15 year old boys. I think
> this would really reel 'em
> in.
> Thank you in advance
> Gabrielle >>

Glad to hear you all are interested in the Carton Picture Lesson Plan based
on Roy Lichtenstein and Pop Art.
Basically, I show posters and pictures of Lichtensteins large paintings of
comic book images: the parodies of war comics and of teen romance comics of
the 1960's. Then each student has to bring in a comic book or a section from
the Sunday comic book section of the newspaper. They choose their favorite
comic character. We make a viewfinder out of paper which measures 2" X 2" and
they frame the image they are going to enlarge onto a piece of drawing paper
measuring 12" X 12". I usually have students draw a light grid on their
paper, dividing their picture into fourths or even more divisions. They draw
the image they've framed in the viewfinder. That is, they copy it on a grid.
I talk about zooming in on an image, a face for instance, for dramatic effect.
    I give them some parameters about how they have to change the image and
not copy it exactly. That usually involves changing colors, facial
expressions, etc, they have to come up with five changes. There has to be
type or words in the image. Then they just use black marker pens to emphasize
the lines the way they are in comic books and we color with colored pencils,
Crayola or Prismacolors.
    I guess that the popularity comes from the fact that a lot of teenagers
like comic books and images of super heros, alien creatures and all the
Japanimation stuff that's out there. It becomes a sort of badge of pride to
be able to duplicate and render these characters. I take comfort in the fact
that they are staying busy and out of trouble, and are increasing their
drawing skills. I remember when I was a teenager I used to love to copy comic
book characters and filled my notebooks with them.
Hope this helps,
Dennis in Stockton, CA

---