clay procedures

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 10:18:37 PST

When I teach clay projects, I make sure I have at
least two classes doing it at the same time, so I can
fill the kiln. Right now I am doing it with four.

I teach them wedging, scoring, slipping, and knitting.
I show them how to make pinch pots. We make two and
then stick them together. That shows them the process
of making a hollow form, and all of the above
processes. I have a can of tools for each table to
share, and I have a container to pour clay water in
and wash their hands off in before going to the sinks.
I empty this container in the large rubbermaid
trashcans that I store trashed pieces in, to make
slip.
We store pieces in progress in grocery store plastic
bags. Don't waste money on a bin for this!

Also, clay traps in your sinks are important.
Unfortunately, one of my sinks has a clay trap too
large to get it out to clean it- our plumber is having
a hard time!

Good luck- have fun- I am not a clay person, I don't
like how it dries out my hands. I keep lotion on hand
for the kids to use, too.

Jayna