Re: Grading..... always looking to improve

---------

From: vicki ranck (vranck_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 19 2001 - 19:44:54 PST

Okay,
i downloaded both Woody's and Judy's grading rubrics, but i still want to
know a few things....Judy, at what point do you keep track of each student
on all these different aspects of behavior? and although i like the tenor of
Woody's "How to get an A in Art", it still seems like the same way i've
always graded art which is by the one that jumps out at me, that is crisp,
clean, creative...the one that gets the eye. that one gets a 100. the next
one, not as well done gets a 98 and so on....please don't blast me here. i
too am looking for a legitimate way to grade art. not so much for me, but
for the parent and other people who want justification for how a grade is
given, earned...
i tried to grade a group of 6th graders art (2-d) based on the chunky monkey
jungle drawing rubric and was immediately struck with the question of how
many points to take on that scale of 1-10 and wound up with unusually low
grades...
Please enlighten me on the use of this scale. somehow i sense it is what
i've been doing anyway but a scale that any other person could recognize and
accept...am i missing something?
vicki

Send a friend your Buddy Card and stay in contact always with Excite Messenger
http://messenger.excite.com

---