Re: pinatas

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 14:59:34 PST

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
>The grade chair for the second grade asked me if I could make pinatas for each
>of the second grade classes for their Christmas parties this year. I don't
>want them to be so beautiful that they don't want to break them, but, it is
>Art!! I thought about using paper grocery store bags...maybe paper mache' I
>will have 2 one half hour sessions in which to do this, so I am not sure paper
>mache is the best option. Any suggestions???

When I made paper-mache-over-balloons pinatas with junior high kids, it took a
couple of weeks, meeting every day for and hour- so I think your paper bag idea
is a better option.
My mother used to make pinatas for our birthdays and class parties when I was a
kid. What she did was stuff a brown bag with newspaper (it was sometimes a
white paper lunch bag- for small parties, I guess) and tie string around the
middle to shape the bag into a basic body/ head shape. I think she used glue
at the top of the bag and made pleats or folds to shape a rounder head. She
would decorate the outside by gluing on the fringed tissue paper, layer by
layer with Elmer's then add construction paper details to create an animal or a
Santa or snowman. After the whole thing was dry, she cut an opening and pulled
out the newspaper so she could fill the pinata.
Paper bags are pretty strong, so the game would last a while before the pinatas
broke open.

---