Re: American Artists of Interest

---------

From: Ann Heineman (aheinema_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 20:17:42 PST

    George Wesley Bellows, born and raised in Columbus, Ohio. His father was
an architect. Attended The Ohio State University before he went off to New
York City; studied with Robert Henri; member of the Ashcan School of
artists; also a gifted lithographer. Sizable collection of original works
owned by the Columbus Museum of Art. Students relate to his sports themes,
portraits and landscapes.
    I do a mock boxing match tableau with my classes, based on the painting
"Dempsey and Firpo." The children have a role in the painting and we try to
symbolically generate the same kind of scene--sounds, smells, sights,
tastes, tactile feelings, as the folks in the painting may have sensed. Then
we talk about how Bellows has made the boxing match come "alive." Figure in
motion studies are an excellent extension.
    Another favorite painting by Bellows is "Polo at Lakewood." This is a
good painting for discussion about weather effects, use of diagonal lines
for compositional emphasis and brushstroke patterns to suggest motion.
    Bellows as a landscape and cityscape painter excelled at making winter
look and FEEL like winter. He did many winter scenes of New York City life.
    Children like hearing the story that Bellows paid his young daughters to
sit for him as models. He loved his family and they often show up as
subjects in his work. Tragically, Bellows' life was cut short by
appendicitis.
    I have a slide set and bio script from the CMA that give lots of info on
the life and work of George Bellows. These may still be available for
purchase. If any of you are interested, I can find out the information and
post it to the list.

            Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus

> Anyone else have anything to say about famous American artists... favorite
ones, things you have done with kids in art to reflect their style or
techniques, interesting tidbits of history? I am compiling the ideas to send
back to the group. I've gotten about six contributions... more would be
great!
> MaryAnn

---