Re: student killed - what did you do?

---------

From: Deb Mortl (dmortl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 19:36:10 PST

The day was hard - it seemed to last years - but I think things went as well
as could be expected. My room was kind of a safe haven since the student
killed and the other student in the car are both seniors and art students so
they spend a lot of time with my other students. In the class that she was
in, we decided to make a stained glass window for her family. Each student
is going to cut one piece. So the class broke up into small groups to
brainstorm and sketch designs, and people shared stories of her life as they
worked on designs. It went great - I think the kids were happy to do
something constructive, but also felt like they were helping the family. We
ended up with a design of a moon with an angel in it. So, tomorrow they
will cut their peices. One day at a time, I guess. Teenagers take this
much harder since they feel so invincible....