Is Christmas Out ? Bah Humbug!

---------

From: LEO DAVINCE (ytsirk_uno_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 19:04:35 PST

It does not seem like many schools are addressing
Christmas as a viable subject in art. Yes, I believe
in "diversity and including cultures from around the
world into the art program"- as one comment was made
to my Creative Christmas Challenge. Is Christian Art
not an area of importance anymore. The Renaissance
one of the greatest Art periods in the history of Art
definitely used Christmas as a topic for a whole host
of paintings. As Americans, is our culture not based
on Christian teachings. So how could we ignore this
religious theme for the sake of meetin Visual Arts
standards and also ignore our own cultural background
for the sake of diversity . Someone better tell Macy's
and the rest of the Commercial world that Christmas is
no longer a viable market because it does not meet
standards or address the diversity of this country.
I still think Christmas is a theme that can be worked
with. I am looking for some creative ways to
incorporate this theme without falling into the trap
of snowmen and candycane art. There have to be a few
people that still do things at this time of year that
are not just decorations but CREATIVE CHRISTMAS ART.
THATS MY CHALLENGE. Who can help.