trees and leaves

---------

From: Jeryl W. Hollingworth (holl5_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 17:31:11 PST

I'm behind in reading the digests so I just read the postings about
trees. I do a similar lesson with my second graders. They do the trees
by printing with the edge of pieces of heavy cardboard early in the
school year and then they stay on the shelf for a couple months ( we
start in early Aug.!) Last week we finished them by adding leaves,
birds, swings etc.. I let them brainstorm some ideas first. The fun part
comes next. We use crayon melters and q-tips. They just dab on and the
colors are very bright and the melted crayons give it a great texture.
If you don't have crayon melters you can use a warming tray with a
muffin tin on it. I have 4 crayon melters let 4 students at a time use
them. My 5th graders did their version of Starry NIght last year after
we saw the original at the High in Atlanta. It's also a great way to use
up those old crayon bits.
                              Jeryl in SC

---