RE: Art Class Size

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 05:06:08 PST

Sorry - last thing I will say - maybe...

I had an e-mail that questioned the appropriateness of taking 90 at a time -
I actually said 60 at a time (for 90 minutes), I know that's still big -
but let me clarify lest I come across as complete incompetent - you know
with any group, there is always one voice that speaks for many.... so while
I privately e-mailed my clarification to them - please allow me to share
with others.

        this is what I originally said -

> For me, it's not the size of the class - it's the content of the class and
> the size of the room/facilities. I have been taking 60 fourth graders
> together in the cafeteria (round tables, carpeted, large windows out on
> trees - not industrial) for 90 minute figure drawing sessions. Fast clean
> up, and lots of thank you's at the end. But if they had been climbing the
> walls - I would have joined them.

clarification:

No - it was for an extra studio time - and I could circulate quite freely -
and it gave the kids the opportunity to take their time. I spent three
class times introducing the lesson and pre-activities.

If there is a time that we are constructing - all materials are
'pre-packaged' - and if needed, parents familiar with the project come in to
help (as with the K-scopes we made) - again - pre lessons -
If it didn't work, and I felt like I was cheating them - we wouldn't do it -
but if I feel that it is the best use of the time (read: extra time)- and
they get more .... I'll continue to take advantage of it.

Next week I may take all of my 5th graders - we have been analyzing art
work. I will regroup them out of class - and they can have an hour or more
to look at prints. Sometimes I cross-grade - and let the olders work with
youngers - what better way to practice a skill than to share it -
Ellen

---