Being gypped!

---------

From: griswold (griswald_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 20:31:34 PST

Marcia, I read your post with great interest. I am curious as to the age
level of your students and how they came to know that was a term denigrating
the gypsys, or Rom. What is the make up of your classes?
I agree it was a great teachable moment, but am so curious as to how it came
up...my kids in northern California wouldn't have a clue, not to mention a
teacher who dressed as a gypsy for Halloween. It has bugged me ever since,
and I have worried about mentioning it to her. There is so much persecution
of the Rom in The Czech Republic and Slavakia, but not a lot of publicity
about it in the US press.
Really Curious in California,
Charlotte
griswald@telis.org