Re: student killed - what to do

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 11:48:36 PST

It is hard to think clearly when this happens. Reaching out to this
group is always a comforting thing and the ideas will come to you.

One thing I have done is to collect the art work of the student and
frame it to hang in the school. A few years ago when this happened
the parents of a first grade boy asked that any donation from the
students be given to a fund to buy mats and frames. They were so
happy for the drawings and writings to be hung.

Later when the students were having difficulty sleeping we made dream
catchers to catch the scary dreams and let the good memories come
through.
After that when we have had a tragedy the kids have asked for dream
catchers. If I didn't believe in the soothing power of dream catchers
before this I certainly do now.

Just know we are thinking of you as you guide your students through
this difficult time.
Sharon - NJ