Re: talking and learning

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 08:12:49 PST

I get really frustrated when the talking in my room
becomes about trivial things such as "Did you watch
TRL last night?"- but I can't ask them to be silent
because I practically float off the floor when I hear
them talking about emphasis, balance, value, and the
like- even when I don't ask them to.

When we were almost finished with the wire and
pantyhose sculptures, they took turns sitting on my
stool (the only tall one) and turned their sculptures
so everyone could we them from every angle. They told
each other why they put what where, and gave each
other suggestions for improvement. It was so
wonderful. Things like that don't happen in a silent
room. They kept begging me for more time to work
because so and so gave them a good suggestion.

I guess the answer to the question of whether or not
to allow talking really depends on timing and the
content of the conversation.

Jayna