Re: ISO outdoor "ornament" idea

---------

From: melinda Mosley-Bullard (mose_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 07:58:40 PST

Last year we made snowflakes with the bottoms of strawberry baskets. They cut out the bottom and place it on a piece of wax paper. Then, cover it (I mean really cover it) with glue, then glitter. Tie a ribbon to the top and you are done! The wax paper peels off if you do it carefully.
this activity only takes a few minutes, so before they glue them all up, have them put the cut out piece of basket underneath a piece of black or dark blue construction paper and color over it with white crayon to make snowflake rubbings.
Another one that doesn't take a lot of time or effort is star ornaments. Draw and cut out two stars (you can make a pattern or teach them how to draw their own. cut two slits down to the middle of each star and kind of wedge them together. punch a hole in the top. you can put glitter on these too. my first graders are able to do these, but last year, I remember my third graders saying that they really wanted to try it too.
hope this helps.
melinda