Substitutes

---------

From: Jean Eger Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 17:15:28 PST

After quitting my job as an art teacher, my principal was kind enough to
recommend me (at my request) to go back to substitute teaching. Whew! I
took a week and a half off. I was so wound up that I was finishing art
projects that I was trying to make as quickly as I could, in advance of
teaching them. Among other things, I am working on the adventures of Sage
the Art Teacher in cartoon form. I have done a strip I call Sage in the Art
Room Chamber of Horrors. I'd like to do more of that, so if anyone wants to
e-mail me their art room safety warnings or disasters, I'd like to hear from
you at jeaneger@jeaneger.com . The strip will go up on my web site as soon
as I re-do the lettering.

I got some really nice sub jobs right away and found that I was a lot more
relaxed with the kids after I had my own classroom for awhile. (I still
haven't given up the idea of being a full time art teacher.) Hooray! I can
see an improvement in my classroom management techniques!

As far as venting goes, I bite my tongue when I am tempted to bad-mouth my
bosses. I know that sometimes people will try to get you to do that, by
doing it around you, just to see if you will succumb to peer pressure. It
is sad to think that people would be so mean as to try to trap you into
saying something that could cost you your job. Art teacher jobs are few and
far between. But, it's a trap, unless they have done something to you that
is so bad that it must see the light of the internet. Usually by that time
however, the person is so intimidated that they are afraid to say anything
anyway.

In the business world, it is a law that an employee owes their loyalty to
the business, or the boss. I think it is probably that way in the academic
world too.

Jean Eger-Womack
http://www.jeaneger.com

---