Re: talking and learning

---------

From: Jerry Krasnesky (ceskras_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 12:51:30 PST

Had opportunity to see a well-known brain research guy named David
Sousa...believe he's from the US originally but has lectured on this topic
(mostly related to the impact brain research developments should have on
education & educator's practices) all over the world. Our division brought
him in 2 years ago for each of us to see then invited the entire community
to see/hear him.

I couldn't begin to do justice to all that he had to say...brilliant and
very interesting.

The talking, of course, has to be related directly to the learning outcomes!
:-) (Merely chatting away won't achieve any educational goals!)

The talking thing stands out - as he talked about how generally the focus in
schools has been (for decades) to get the kids to "sit down, be quiet, and
listen" He had images of PET scans (some sort of brain imaging technique
that will show the level of activity in the brain - red being the most
activity, yellow moderate, green mild and black none...interesting to see
the different parts of the brain highlighted during different activities.
Reading, listening, writing, watching a demonstration, all had (of course)
some varying areas active but while students were asked to discuss (ie.
talk or tell about) what they were learning almost all areas of the brain
were really activated.

So, I do believe that while we are doing intense observation like that
needed for doing a detailed and realistic sketch, let's say, you'd not want
the kids/artists to be yakking a mile a minute...interrupts the
concentration...

Anyway, I don't know enough technical jargon, facts, etc to do what this
research guy so profoundly related to us...but it had major impact on how I
thought about the activities and expectations I have for my students.

Maybe I can find something re: his research, etc. on the net...if I do, i'll
get back.