Re: talking and learning / Quiet ?

---------

MarshArt_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 10:19:04 PST

In a message dated 11/10/01 9:59:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wduncan@kc.rr.com writes:

> We are encouraged to promote talking if it is directed and purposeful.
> But I can't stop or would I even try to stop social banter when students
> are engaged in painting, sculpture, etc. . In my own
> adult studio classes both social banter and meaningful dialogue happens,
> it's the norm. Why should students be expected to differ ? Now I think
> research would support "absolute quiet" in an observational (right brain)
> drawing situation. I insist on quiet in those situations. I just can't site
> the research source.
> Woody in KC

Woody, I have struggled with exactly this for years. I allow talking as long
as it at low level and not across the room banter. Yet, I always felt guilty
that I was not a teacher with a well controlled classroom. I also knew that I
would be setting myself up for failure if I made it a "no talking" atmosphere
because 4-5 kids are at my tables sharing supplies.

Your advice is sound. Yes, Of course! In my adult classes we talk, joke and
at times are quiet in concentration and it seems so natural. I need to
remember that art is NOT a traditional classroom. We just need to observe
whether the kids are engaged and focused on their work and that it is getting
done. Thanks, Woody.

Marsh in So. FL

---