Re: Art Class Size

---------

From: Kelly (kellyselden_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 10:02:50 PST

To those of you like myself who now have 32, 33, 34 in each class, how has
this impacted the way you teach? Has it changed any of the projects you
do? I have been tempted to change for several years now for survival,
making art 1 more of a 2-d only class with activities where the mess,
walking around the room, etc are not as consuming as say, clay, for
instance. I would appreciate any input as to how others of you have
changed or kept the same your curriculum.
Thanks,
Teresa in El Paso
Absolutely Teresa,
With class sizes of 30-32 in photography and only 10 enlargers it means
limited access for my students and the need for several different projects
to be going on at once. Much like a 3 ring circus. With a highly
technical subject like photography, not all students 'get
 it' and many need lots of extra help. Not only that but we have
International students who speak little English as well as Special
Education students who really 'don't get it'. SAFETY is my number one
concern. In a general art course you most certainly are limited if you
have 32 students to deal with. You may not be able to teach sculpture,
clay and other projects that require storage space and room to work in the
classroom. A teacher I know works in a portable and the students barely
have elbow space when he has 32 students. The size of the paper is even a
concern.

---