talking and learning

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 06:26:06 PST

artsednet@lists.getty.edu writes:
><SNIP>he's not in tune with the latest in brain research
>indicating that when the brain is engaged in TALKING it has the most 'parts'
>active...the 'best' learning involves talking.

hey, I'm not familiar with this research either. Can someone point me in the
right direction? Wouldn't the talk need to be directed and purposeful? My
kids talk a lot but it's all about their social lives. They need to learn a
lot in that department this point in their lives, but I need them learning
about art while they're with me. Also, I keep telling my kids that their
talking brain is not their drawing brain and pointing out that kids who get to
work without talking are having better outcomes in their art. Does research
suggest this is really true?

---