Re: observation vent

---------

From: melinda Mosley-Bullard (mose_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 05:37:05 PST

Well, after two days of cooling off (and wiping away tears), I think have
finally got a grip. Sigh. I have concluded that my principal doesn't know
how to observe an art room

Last year I had a similar observation during Reading. I had been at that school 3 years and my principal was well aware that observations completely unnerve me. Still, he came in, unanounced, with the FPMS instrument to my Reading class. The children went wild.It took a long time to get them back and I had to wing it as I got so flustered that I could not find the next activity that I had scheduled.
But I muddled through and I did not think, given the circumstances that I did all that badly. Well, he really disagreed. He said, (and I quote because I will never forget it!) " the way you teach Art and the way you teach Reading is like night and day and if I had to base whether or not to offer you your professional services contract next year on this observation I would not be able to do it."
 this man had observed my teaching in Reading several times before: every time had gone smoothly. I cried over it, in private, for many days, weeks. I confided to my family--my dad who is very conservative "suck it up and take it" said that I should have told him that I would take my talents elsewhere! But I didn't and the storm blew over. And he came in again, this time pre-announced, the way it is supposed tobe, and everything went fine.

All this is to say that even though principals can be real jerks. don't let it upset you anymore because you are wasting your own time and energy. You can be sure that he has not lost any sleep over this! Why should you??? Consider the source, do what you need to do to preserve your job and your dignity, and move on...(don't waste the tears on him!!!) :o)

---