Re: Art Class Size

---------

Holly112_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 21:28:10 PST

I agree with Mark. Last year, when I was new to my urban at-risk population,
and was overwhelmed by their behavior, I had to form a small class of
"talent" students due to a programming error. I found 15 kids who liked to
draw. Out of 15, only two had "talent". The other 13 were the kids other
teachers couldn't wait for me to take! They were behavior problems for
everyone and were failing most of their classes. When I had them in my small
class of 15, there was not one problem. They loved the individual attention
and performed well.

Maybe class size has small impact when the kids have social skills and
someone at home who loves them? IMHO, I've found that when kids have
deficits socially, larger classes are harder to manage.

Holly :0)
In a message dated 11/9/01 9:19:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
markcalexander@yahoo.com writes:

> Of course, teacher knowledge and passion is a very important factor, but
> until I'm proven wrong I still stand by class size as having the largest
> impact on learning. I can see a problem with my statement, though, if the
> teacher of the class, regardless of size, is poorly prepared and bored.
> Thanks for stating your views.

---