Re: observation vent

---------

ARTNSOUL12_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 17:50:53 PST

In a message dated 11/09/2001 7:07:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
THEGREEN99@prodigy.net writes:

> Well, after two days of cooling off (and wiping away tears), I think have
> finally got a grip. Sigh. I have concluded that my principal doesn't know
> how to observe an art room. On my observation report he noted that the
> noise
> level was too high (hah! it was a quiet day!) and as a result my classroom
> management skills are poor. Well, I think you can figure out where I would
> like to stick that report!

Jennifer, are you and your principal happy with your lessons and the results
you are getting from the kids? If so, can you just say to him (or write in
your rebuttal) that just as there are different learning styles, so are there
different teaching styles. Mention that the students are learning and
successful in the atmosphere that you are fostering. If you feel comfortable
with the noise level AND the kids are working, learning and accomplishing,
then the noise level works for you. If, however, all the talking (noise) is
interfering with creating- if the mouths are going and the hands are not-
then maybe you should re-evaluate your classroom management.

It is very difficult to walk the fine line of what I like to call freedom, or
artistic freedom, in a structured environment. But, as long as you are able
to get their attention and perfect silence whenever you want, you are in
control. I use a bell as a signal for "Grandmother's Fingers". It's like
Pavlov's dogs, I admit, but I get perfect silence and folded hands, eyes on
me when I ring that bell. Hey, works for me...and the rest of the time has a
variety of noise (talking) depending on the class.

Good luck. I understand because my former principal was anal about things
like that, too. Once called me in his office to tell me that the different
size boxes with supplies I had labled and stacked on shelves in my room
really bothered him because they were different sizes. He said they would
look better if they were the same size and I would be better organized! Now
that's an administrator who understood space and supplies... LOL....you're
not alone...
Susan on Long Island

---