observation vent

---------

From: Aaron and Jennifer (THEGREEN99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 16:09:49 PST

Well, after two days of cooling off (and wiping away tears), I think have
finally got a grip. Sigh. I have concluded that my principal doesn't know
how to observe an art room. On my observation report he noted that the noise
level was too high (hah! it was a quiet day!) and as a result my classroom
management skills are poor. Well, I think you can figure out where I would
like to stick that report!

The report itself isn't too bad, but the post-discussion was terrible. He
told me basically that I was too idealisitic (isn't that gets teachers
passionate? ideals?) and that I needed to change my viewpoints, adapt my
classroom management. He wants me to have sticker charts to monitor each
class's behavior. Then when a class earns so many sticker he wants me to
give them candy - just like his old art teacher did from a different
district, in a different state! I just have problems with this on so many
levels. Besides the fact it goes against my philosophy of education and the
established curriculum, I just have a problem with being compared to another
teacher. If I were to compare students in front of him, I would get a tongue
lashing, but somehow it is okay for him.

Why don't some principals actually fill the shoes of the job instead of
adding toilet paper to make the shoes fit? Argh! Heaven forbid, he might
have to actually work at his job.

Well, thanks for the vent. I am going to file a rebuttal with my report. At
the next meeting I have with him, I am going to have my mentor sit in. I
have the right for another person to be in the room with me. Might as well
do it just in case he crosses the line. Personally, I think he is just
ignorant. But you never know what ignorant people can do...

Jennifer in Michigan

---