Class Size Debate

---------

From: Jerry Krasnesky (ceskras_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 08:24:29 PST

I get the points made in both your post and the article however, class size
does factor in...immediately after class composition.

Class composition makes or breaks ya, let's admit. If you had a class of 35
angelic darlings who came along with appreciative, supportive parents, who
all wanted to be in your room and were listening when it was time to listen
and doing exactly what you wanted when you wanted them to do it then 35 it
would be WAAAAAY better than a class of 18 severely behavior & learning
disordered kids from a rough home life where nobody put a meal in their
bellies let alone cared if they walked into your room at all during the
year!

Before someone jumps all over me, I'll admit that this is generalizing but
that's how policies are made & what they're based upon...usually.

So, although I wouldn't be thrilled about having 35 reports to do and
projects to mark & kids to manage, if they were all heavenly
'picture-perfect' students I'd take 'em!

So...class size HAS to come into play after composition is taken into
account.

My two cents! D

---