RE: Art Class Size

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 05:52:11 PST

If you are interested in research - check out this month's Scientific
American. Also a side bar to class sizes in Japan (which is going through a
MAJOR overhaul of their education system... and they are going from
traditionally large classes to smaller) - it isn't the class size. In Japan
it is the respect and importance of education and educational professionals.

All research on class size shows its small impact. The biggest factor in a
successful class in America was the teacher, teacher, teacher - teacher
knowledge, teacher passion.

Personally - I can't imagine how a teacher can teach 30+ if the facility
isn't adequate. I have seen 34 shoved in a space no bigger than a closet.
But I also hated teaching a math class of 11 so I pulled another teacher
with her 11 in to join us. Right now our average is 18... which is a good
size for my room.

the November 01 Scientific American

        Does Class Size Matter?
         BY RONALD G. EHRENBERG, DOMINIC J. BREWER, ADAM GAMORAN AND J.
         DOUGLAS WILLMS

         Reducing the number of students per teacher is not an educational
cure-all.

Ellen

---