Re: worthless subs

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 05:19:08 PST

I was a sub for two periods in my hiatus from teaching, just to keep my foot
in the door. From phy ed to science, family consumer ed to tech ed. I'd
get calls last minute, show up five minutes before class began...and faced
the challenge of having to know what to teach as kids were filing into the
room. Wisconsin pays roughly $60-$70 per day. Subs have the same risks of
students injuing themselves or others and everything else.

If you develop a good reputation with hopes of it leading to a
position...chances are you're too important to the district and they'll just
happen to find someone else more "qualified." I've missed several openings
because of such garbage.

You get sick and tired of entering a building to see teachers that are tired
of their jobs. Teachers who have had it with kids that come from homes
where they learn little to no discipline, and have nearly predominant scowls
on their faces with deep grooves buried in. Tired of sitting in a faculty
lounge where the predominant discussions are administrators that *!#%^_%#!
or how they are investing their money, or what cruise/tour vacation they
have just recently enjoyed or are planning. Sick and tired of having little
to nothing hearing two teachers married with combined salaries going on
extensive vacations every year complaining about their being mistreated as a
professional with their low salaries. Frustrated that you can often do a
better job at connecting with the students and teaching than many of the
teachers you are filling in for. You get frustrated with measely pay
knowing fulltime fast food restaurant workers earn more, and the fact the
districts for the most part dish out this measely pay once per month.
Somehow you have to pay for gas to travel until the checks start rolling in.

If we want professional expectations from our substitutes, then perhaps
something should be done that would make a substitute "feel" like a
professional. Perhaps since there is no summer pay, no health benefits,
etc., a minimum of about $12 per hour. Perhaps then, even more retirees
might stick around seeing the extra cash worthwhile. About the only good
thing that comes with subbing is the option to turn a job down if you have
other plans. -Larry

---