Re: Art Class Size

---------

From: Mark Alexander (malexander06_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 04:42:24 PST

I firmly believe that reducing class size is the one single most important
step that can be taken to improve education. Vastly more improvement than
testing will ever afford. Every time I see a Board of Ed member I tell them.
I know that when a class size gets up over 20 or so that teachers have to
spend more time on crowd control, and few if any students will get
one-on-one attention. The simple fact is that most individuals learn more
effectively when they receive individual attention. Now I'm just stating my
beliefs. I'm certainly not complaining about my situation. I teach PreK-8.
My largest class now is a 5th grade with 24. The average class size at my
school is 16, and the smallest is 10. I must say that I wonder how those
with such enormous classes can maintain a quality art program.

Mark

---