Re: subs

---------

From: JIM WITTSTRUCK (JWITTSTRUCK_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 10:21:18 PST

Artsednetters,

Patty wrote:

<Please be careful with your criticism of subs.
<Being a sub is a very difficult job. We are lucky to have as many as there
<are to take our places. Fewer and fewer want to do it.

I am in complete agreement with Patty. I've done a year of subbing in Art and Special Ed., and I know that they get even less respect around the building than the art teacher (if that is possible!)

I remember vividly my days as a sub for one old-timer art teacher. His ENTIRE lesson plan for me for the day was: "do as you wish".

I scrambled around a lot in the few minutes before I went to the kids- ON A CART! Not even any bottles of glue. I had to go beg some from a 4th grade teacher.

So I emphasize, subbing is no bed of roses and the subs get no respect. Give them some slack, and I like the ideas about how to make their life easier.... I plan hard for a subsitute, because I want to make their experience tolerable. (in spite of my baser instinct to let someone see what I have to go through each day with my 6 different preps!)

Yours,

Jim W.

Jim Wittstruck
M. W. Savage Elementary