school closings

---------

From: Donald Peters (softsnow_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 16:03:32 PST

Last year our district closed 4 elementaries and a junior high school.

It's been rumored that our school is on the chopping block for this year.

A committee cornered the president of the school board and he let slip that
the school board wants to close every school in the district with an
enrollment less than 500.

They combined 3 of the elementaries into an "academy" this year. These
schools were all low income minority schools. Now, this year, the teachers
are having all kinds of problems with fights almost hourly between students
that used to be in different schools (mostly rival gangs--yes, we have gang
members in elementary, they start recruiting at 4th grade, but it is not
unusual for as young as kinder to try to wear colors or flash signs if their
older siblings or even their parents are in the gangs)

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Donald Peters
Lubbock, Texas