Re: Teaching color theory to middle-school/color-blind kids

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 17:15:51 PST

I would say that it would be more interesting for you to study him than
for him to learn about things that he cannot perceive. Show him the same
info you show the other kids and see how he "sees" color. It doesn't make
sense to force him to try to see things he cannot see.
He certainly needs to learn the information that you would require of
others--for example if you are asking people to remember color
complements, analagous colors etc. for a written test. Remember that
in WWI the military used colorblind people in aerial reconnaisance (sp?)
because they could see right through camoflauged things. I have had
several kids--boys--who said they couldn't see color. I just said ok, do
the best you can and see how the work turns out. Either they were just
lying about it or they rely on other people to help them, but their work
usually looked like everyone else's. Sid

# Sidnie Miller #
# Elko High School #
# College Avenue #
# Elko, NV 89801 #