ap & pre-ap art studio

---------

From: nancy kizis (smokealarm7_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 16:39:41 PST

does anyone have any experience with combining ap and pre-ap studio art into one class? our school has art 1 through 4 and a variety of other classes. i'm being sent to conferences to get it started next fall and am seriously concerned about the numbers. our students from our district (no knocks on jr. high art teacers in general intended) come to high school not knowing things like how to use a ruler, anything about shading with values, color theory, just the basics. i spend the whole year of art 1 just catching them up (projects based on the elements of art that try to encourage independent thinking). the result this year is a combined art 2-4 class that is made up of kids who still can't think for themselves and wait to be told every move. if i give them choices they opt for the easy out and if they do come up with an idea that is their own, it has blood, skulls, anarchy symbols, marylin manson, fire - you get the idea). in other words our dept is transitioning from "art is an easy A" and "every one passes" to being a program of real quality. it is a constant struggle. how will i ever get them ready?
only 9 kids said they were interested and the one who is the only really talented one of the lot is moving in a month.
so do i just pull the kids who might possibly make it or fill the class with (12 is the minimum) warm bodies and suffer failure. another art teacher in my dept. just started ap art history last year and out of 7 kids all 7 passed! that's going to make ap studio look awful.
any ideas?
thanks,
nancy gail in texas

---