Re: worthless subs

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 16:21:50 PST

Donald Peters wrote:

> Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions on solving it?

When I know I'm going to be gone, I check with my favorite sub first to
see if she's available. If so, she pencils me in and I inform the
office that she's agreed to sub for me; I also put it on my written
request for leave that I've got a sub lined up. This sub, who retired
from the HS a few years ago, has been an amateur artist for many years
and can actually help the students with their work. She's a real gem;
when I was at NAEA in March she even wrote her own lessons and taught
them, just for fun! I just made sure the supplies were ready for her;
in fact, I ordered extra supplies for this year so she could teach the
lesson again. If she's not available, I go through second and third
choices. I try to stay with the lesson the students are already working
on; I put supplies in separate trays for each class on the desk in my
office and I DON'T leave my cabinet keys behind. Then the sub doesn't
have to deal with students trying to wheedle off-limit supplies from
her. Some supplies I won't leave out, like X-actos and such.

I have locks on everything. If a cabinet doesn't have a lock, I have a
chain and padlock on it.

Good luck. If you find a great sub like mine, treat her like a
professional rather than a servant and your life will be infinitely
easier.

Maggie

---