Re: subs

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 14:19:28 PST

Please be careful with your criticism of subs.
I was a day to day sub for two years before I found a position. It was my
experience, especially in the elementary schools, that when the sub was in
for the art teacher the classroom teachers felt it was their opportunity to
come in and "raid " the closets.
Can't tell you how many battles I got into with classroom teachers wanting
to come in a take the best stuff and thinking I'd believe it was okay for
them to do so.

Being a sub is a very difficult job. We are lucky to have as many as there
are to take our places. Fewer and fewer want to do it.

as they say walk in the shoes
There is very little training for subs. We ask them to do much they are
only given minutes to prepare for.
Subs are taken too much for granted and it hurts me to hear a word like
worthless attached to their predicament.

Patty

---