Re: Teaching color theory to middle-school/color-blind kids

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 05:29:08 PST

I taught a family where the males were all color blind (5 boys total). I
discovered that if we stopped a project one day and continued the next that
all 5 would get really upset if they discovered they had changed colors
inadvertently - so I never said anything unless it could be fixed. Their
classmates were always very respectful and they never said anything either.
One trick I found was to have the class write the names of the colors they
were using on the back of their project so they could find those same colors
(this worked well for using crayons that have many odd names). Also, making
sure that I chose mediums that were marked - colored pencils that were
marked with the color. I agree that all students need color theory
instruction, but color blind students will have to make adaptations all
their lives and learning these tricks will help them in real life
situations. I wouldn't use scented anything with middle school boys - I
don't want to deal with them shoving markers or brushes up each others
noses! :-)
~Michal
whest177@wheatstate.com
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids