Re: 3rd grade & color

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 19:36:32 PST

I have my elementary for 25 min. twice a week. Students learn more with hands on projects, so when I teach I use the vocabulary over & over. I am currently teaching my 4th graders about VanGogh. I break down the history so I spend about 10 minutes discussing/reviewing and the remaining 15 min. working. As we get further into the project I spend 5 min. reviewing and 20 min. working. This project takes us up to 4 weeks. 3 days practicing, 1 day drawing, 2 days coloring, 2 days drawing line patterns. Even tho the time frame seems long it is amazing how much my students remember from this lesson. My 8th graders saw me preparing for this lesson the other day and the details they remembered were truly amazing. (This lesson is my 4th grade Starry Night/Sunny Day project). My point in all this is to do what works so the students learn what you want them to, regardless of the time frame. And don't just do the lesson and move on - tie in the vocabulary into each lesson. :-)
~Michal
whest177@wheatstate.com
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids
    This sounds good to me. Sonia Delaunay is a favorite artist of mine. I've often mentioned to my students that her husband Robert Delaunay got more acclaim than she did primarily due to gender bias typical of the times, but that I happen to like her work better.

    I've used her work as a model for a painting and poetry project with 8th graders. My artists wrote poems then illustrated them by created a Delaunay inspired non-objective painting, concentrating on the emotional quality of color. Paintings and poems displayed together are always quite striking.

    Oh, and I agree, an hour and a half is not much time in a six day rotation for a quality art program. However, I'd say most of us get less than that. At my school, grade 1-5 students only get 50 mins of art every 5 days, and the grade 6-8 kids only get 40 mins every 5 days.