Re: Still Life, drawing in general

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 16:03:27 PST

In a message dated 11/06/2001 7:28:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
vranck@excite.com writes:

> before they start using a viewfinder for a still life, you should discuss
> proportion with them. Make them understand that the hole in the viewfinder
> is their piece of paper and whatever is in the top of the hole is in the top
> of their drawing. same with bottom, sides....pay attention to size
> relationships.

When I have my Art 1's do a still life I have them look at the big still life
and find the most interesting object to them. Next I talk about the division
of thirds and to choose one of the aesthetic centers of interest. After that
I have them sketch out (small thumbnails) the still life starting with that
object in the position they had chosen, having the rest of the page include
what they saw leading away from the first object. They have to include at
least three objects.

Most of the time they choose too many objects or make the first item too
small. I am able to come around and help them crop it some more until a good
composition is chosen and then they make a larger outline sketch of it before
they start the final drawing.

Ken Schwab
San Jose CA

---